Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

31 Days.... Day 14

First of all - thank you to Amber at The Quilted Euphoria for featuring my fabric pumpkins.  She has a great week-end linky party so check it out for great inspiration.

My 31 Day challenge has not afforded many opportunities for "linking up."  No blog party worthy projects.  But I love how my to do list of projects is shrinking!!!

Today I finished a project that I have been working on off and on for over a year - woo hoo!!!!

I do not know if I have mentioned it, but clutter drives me insane.  Well - technically not all clutter.  I am selective about my clutter insanity.  One area that is of particular insanity provocation is the cabinet above the stove.  It is where I keep cookbooks and pot holders.  It can get to be a mess!!!!

I want to do something with my kitchen cabinets - refinish them, paint them, burn them.  You get the idea.  But before I do that I feel like I need to get the insides in good shape.

Over a year ago my mom-in-law gave me an empty cook book.  I love it!!!



I add all the recipes.  I had started copying all the recipes that I like from the incredibly too large amount of cook books I had  (key word - had!!!)  And I also find lots of recipes on line that I print.  Those generally get shoved into the cabinet too.  So you can imagine the mess that the cabinet stays in.  I never seemed to be able to find the hole punch when I print something, so everything was shoved in the cabinet or in the book.

Today I had a brainstorm - page protectors!!!  No hole punching, just slip the recipes into the pockets and done.  Plus it will protect them when I am cooking.

How easy is that!!  And I was able to get rid of this:



And now the cabinet above my stove looks like this


Woo Hoo!!!!!  Double woo hoo!!!  (And yes I have burned all of my potholders)
I have gone in a year from over 40 cookbooks to 4.  I cannot get rid of my church cookbooks, they are filled with wonderful recipes and they hold wonderful memories of the women who submitted the recipes - including one that has some of my mom's recipes.  In most of the other cook books I only used 2 or 3 recipes from each one so those were easy to get rid of after I copied the recipes.


For now I am off to stalk more kitchens in blogland so that I can eventually decide what to do with mine!!

Until tomorrow

Happy DIY'ing
Susan

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! My recipes still look like your before picture! :) Lorie @ Reading Confetti

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a great idea to keep all the family recipes in one place! :)

    Unfortunately I couldn't find your email address, so I'll "spam" you on here..
    I wanted to thank you for your sweet comment on my paper lantern project!
    Hugs,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete