Here it is in all its glory
And now some close ups of how bad the finish was (and I know that if I am going to keep blogging I have to learn to take better photos and using my editing software) Oh yes - notice the cute little wreath, compliments of a blog tutorial. I just wish I remembered which one!
Also notice the red tint - circa 1980's anyone - to the stain.
So we hauled big and heavy door to back yard where I sanded and sanded to get this
Four and a half hours later
That was as good as it was going to get. Then I resanded with 150 and then 220 grit sand paper. Then we hauled big and heavy into the garage, and vaccuumed the door twice. Using Miss Mustard Seed's methods I applied 3 coats of Minwax dark walnut stain - scrubbing with steel wool and vaccuuming between coats. The next day I applied a coat of minwax Helmsman for the Uv protection. I found this very hard to work with and it left teeny bubbles everywhere.
After many tears I looked on their website and many others have had this same problem. Since I am new at this DIY stuff I figured I had better look for another solution, so just to be UV safe I sanded it - again with 220 - and put another coat of helmsman. BTW - over 24 hours drying time per coat. Not good for someone with my patience. And again sanding
So after the Hemsman fail, I went and bought a bottle of Minwax wipe on poly in high gloss. I lost count of the number of coats, but I used the whole bottle. The door is protected!! I graduated from 220 to 320 sandpaper to steel wool. And then final product:
And a couple of close-ups
Is it perfect - uh nooo..
Am I proud - oh yeah!!
And honey is proud, too!
And I replaced the hardware with brushed nickel - hinges and knobs. I wanted oil rubbed bronze but it did not look good with our storm door.
Hee heee - my first solo DIY!! Honey did have to help transport big and ugly and had to do a little routing to get the new dead bolt in. But other than that - all little ole me!!