Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Light Bulb Moment

Well I am much more optimistic about my project.  I had an "Ah-ha" moment today.  I had been using the water based stripper just like I used the stronger outdoor only stripper.  Then in a moment of clarity I realized my problem.  When using the harsher stripper I poor a huge amount in my tray and paint it on as I need it.  As in it may sit in the tray for up to an hour before I use it.  No problem, it never seemed to dry out.  Now the ah-ha moment.  This is water based - as in evaporation.  So today I would only put a little small amount in the tray and use it all quickly.  And I also rinsed out my chippy brush in between each coat.  What a difference!!

My New BFF
 I am putting way more than 3 coats ( and scrapings) per area.  But it is getting ALL of the shellac/varnish off!!!
So today after stripping multiple times the outside of the first portion of the handrail looked like this

Then after about 30 minutes of sanding with 60 grit it looked like this

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!  I am so excited to have figured this out.

And you may have noticed that the first section of spindles have been removed.  I sanded out any dings the best I could, now they are ready for their make-over.  Finally feels like I am getting somewhere.

Oh and Sandra was so good today - she barely made a mess at all.

Hope you all had a wonderful Father's Day filled with those you love!


No comments:

Post a Comment